Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Homemade Advent calenders made with love~


Paula's Advent Calendar~


  Kailey's Advent Calendar~

Hello friends!
I'm not sure if I have shared with you what I do for advent calendar's for my kids. When they were little I always bought them the chocolate calendar's, and that worked out well. After dinner each night they would open their little chocolate window, and eat their treat. As they got older, they would keep their calendar's in their rooms. Most times they'd forget to open the windows and eat their treats, so they'd just take it upon themselves too devour the chocolates all in one sitting.
That would drive me crazy, silly kids. Not even following the days in December, eating the chocolate in their rooms all in one night.
Eventually I got tired of that and stopped buying those chocolate calendar's. What I decided to do was buy small felt Christmas bags, maybe the size of a kids loot bag from a birthday party. I hung these little bags on the pantry doors in the kitchen and each night I would put a treat in them for Braden and Kailey to find and eat or use. Most of the stuff was small items, sometimes nail polish, toothbrush, lip balm, mittens, socks or gum, suckers, candy and chocolate. Not expensive stuff, on occasion I would get an actual "gift" item and it would be something they needed or wanted.
I wasn't sure what I was going to do about my advent this year with Kailey living in residence. I was so sad....how could I make this work?!
Naturally I went to Pinterest and figured out exactly how I can make this work. I found a pin, where some very creative person used a coat hanger to hang wrapped advent gifts for each day for the month of December. PERFECT! I loved it!!
I started planning this idea back in November, buying the advent gifts for each day. Some cute little trinkets, the usual candy, chocolate, socks and fun little activities.


So I started out painting some clothes hanger's red. Couple coats and it looked wonderful. Then I wrapped the gifts and I had Paul drill tiny holes in the bottom of the hanger. Then he screwed in some small hooks, which allowed me to string and hang the advent gifts.
 








I was so excited to do this for Kailey, but I couldn't just send one to school with her. I had to make one for her roommate as well. Both girls are working so very hard, they have both had a lot of adjustments being away from home. I knew Paula would be very grateful for her advent and my hopes was they would both enjoy just a few moments a day opening up a small gift, something that can make them smile, take their minds off of finals, studying, being away from home. It was sort of a count down to coming home for the holidays.
Paula sent me the nicest thankyou  via facebook, and her mother commented with the sweetest message. We are both very thankful our girls have a roommate who is respectful and conscientious of one another. Kailey got very lucky, and I am so happy about that. 
 
Well here are a few of the small gifts they received so far, these are some of the ones they have opened.


Who doesn't love popcorn~


Snow in a can~ Just some fun for them in their dorm rooms.


Personalized ornaments....hopefully they hung them in their room.
 

Candy canes...no explanation needed~


PEZ!!!!! Cause that's just awesome!

Santa straws for the holiday drinks!


Glow stick bracelets for the upcoming holiday parties~

 So below is a picture of the finished product hanging on Kailey's dorm wall. I sent some hooks for them to help hang on their wall.
I get a text everyday telling me what they got, and a thank you.
Well my lovelies, I hope I have inspired you too think outside the box when it comes too Advent calendar's. Honestly, its something that is so easy and really not expensive. The Dollarstore is a pretty amazing place. The things you can pick up for gifts are wonderful.
Goodnight my friends and god bless~
 

2 comments:

  1. Such a great idea. I'm sure they absolutely love them. I still get the store bought chocolate ones, but they are Lindt ones. Some things you just never outgrow. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Colleen, I had such a good time making them. Oh I understand the chocolate ones, that's exactly what Braden asked for and got..Lindt as well. I couldn't leave Paul out, so I sent one in his man bag so he had one at work. lol big kids..all ya!!

    ReplyDelete