Thursday, September 17, 2015

New York City, The Home Alone Tour~ #Throwback Thursday


This was Christmas 2004, we decided to pack up and take the kids to New York City. This trip was honestly one of my all time favorite ones. We loaded up the van, and drove 9 hours to NYC, at Christmas time. We called it the Home Alone Tour, cause our kids loved that movie. They were dying to see the ever famous Radio City Christmas tree that's featured in the Home Alone movie.
It was so cold, but we had a plan of action and we went forward. At that time Braden was still small enough we could transfer him easily, and he used a manual wheelchair at that time. When you have a manual chair there is usually less problems with accessibility. Its lighter and easier to lift up stairs, buses or even taxis. I miss those days...how convenient it was to use one.
 
These pictures are not the best, I apologize for that. I had to take pictures of my photo album that I had scrapbooked.

We visited the Empire state building. It was such a great experience. When we entered the building we were ushered to a private area where they checked our bags out. It was post 9/11 and security was rightfully still up front and centre. We then had our very own attendant who stayed with us on the elevator, all the way up to the outdoor viewing level. The assistance was amazing, they took very good care of us. I think its just protocol with wheelchairs, it easier for them to help out anyone who needs assistance.


We of course went to Macy's and did some shopping. If you have never been to NYC at Christmas time then my friends you are missing out. I would recommend everyone takes some time at Christmas to check out the Macy's department store windows.
Below we took pictures with some singing elves. Apparently we didn't wait to sit on Santa's knee, we probably gave them the choice and they chose not to wait.

My picture taking skills back then were certainly not the best....but you can see below is Macy's.


Here we are on a tour bus that we did inorder to check out much of the city. Its a double decker bus, and the top level is open. Its such a nice place to sit and see the city and all the beautiful parts of it. It was cold, I remember that. Paul carried Braden up top there so he could experience it too.
Here is me and Kailey, enjoying each district. I think the reason this was one of our favorite vacations was because we had no agenda. We have been fortunate enough to travel frequently with our kids. Some holidays more challenging than others, but this one I think was the first one where the kids seemed older. We didn't need to worry about bedtimes, temper tantrums or medical treatments. It was a stable time, life was good. We could relax with the kids, room service was lovely and they could entertain themselves in the room when we were just needing some chill time. We could all watch the same movie, no more PG rated  or cartoon movies. High action films made everyone happy. Our kids always got along for the most part and enjoyed eachothers company. There wasn't too many disagreements back then, we had our stressor's as everyone does. But for the most part this trip was what everyone had wanted. We made it special, really focusing on the Home Alone movie and sight seeing.
Well my lovelies, this is my Throwback Thursday. Hope you enjoyed and I hope you are all doing well. So, until tomorrow good night and god bless~

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Loved going down memory lane with you. I know that was a memorable trip for you guys. Happy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candy! If you get the chance to go as a family some day I would recommend it! Lots of fun, and lots of shopping lol...hope you are doing well! I know it's been a struggle lately, thinking of you and hoping things turn around for you!! xoxox

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I live holidays with no agenda my favourite.

    ReplyDelete