Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Are you Dorm Ready? What you need to make your space all your's while in University~

Oh my lovelies, we've come to this time in our lives that we work so hard towards.

The leaving of the nest, when your youngest is off to University.

Yep, we are preparing. We are looking at lists, checking out the best of the fluffiest towels, admiring and choosing sheet sets that match and coordinate a dorm room. Measuring beds, looking through countless comforter sets, duvet options and the endless battle of school supplies.
I sorta feel like we're preparing her for her wedding day, going through Bed, Bath and Beyond searching for the coziest of blankets, pillows, gizmo's and gadgets . Its feels like we are registering patterns, china and appliances for a bridal registry. Going over websites, watching for deals, constantly comparing prices and "what looks best" or "what looks cool?". Endless online shopping for items to bring forth some sort of homey comfort too the sterile looking walls that will house my daughter over the next 8 months.

                                      Not Kailey's dorm, lol...just thought I'd share some pictures~

Thankfully Kailey has some friends who have already started University and have lived in a dorm room, so she has a pretty good idea of what to expect.
Let me mention and too be fair, Kailey is not a high maintenance kinda girl. In fairness she is not putting ridiculous expectations on us, her wants and needs for dorm life have been more than reasonable. Thank god for that cause let me tell you I am truly living my life through her at this time.
I grew up watching one too many 80's teenage movies were life in a dorm was a gift granted to only the best of the best. I did NOT have that experience. I didn't strive for it, I wanted other things in life and to be honest I guess I didn't believe in myself enough to make it happen.
I did go off to College, too a program in Early Childhood Education, which I can say today was my true calling. I can say this with even having a diploma in Nursing which I achieved later in life.
So, even though my dreams led me to Community College, I still lived on my own. Well sort of....I did move in with Paul my first year of college. We got ourselves a cute little apartment and began our life together at the tender age of 20.

I always wonder where my life would have taken me if I had of accepted my acceptance to Fanshawe College in London Ont. That was a choice I had to make, either I go away to college and live independently OR I move out my "at that time" boyfriend and really try to have a future with this guy.

I chose the latter, and I am so happy I did.

I know back in the day my mom was really rooting for me to go away, its not that she didn't want me to be with Paul. It was because she wanted me to be with me. Find out who I was, grow into a wonderfully independent young woman. This is exactly what I want for my daughter.
Luckily she is going to do just that. I am truly blessed. I did not want my daughter to follow in her mothers and grandmothers footprints. There was absolutely NO falling in love during high school happening in this house.
We made it through,  highschool is done for good and she is on the right track to fulfilling her own life dreams.

When I envision her going off to University, living in residence as a single, beautifully brilliant young woman...I see all MY dreams come true. So going back to me living my life through Kailey, this leaves the options for shopping way too flexible. Thankfully Kailey is not trying to take me for all i'm worth in this venture of dorm shopping.  She is being very honest in her choices of accessories. Honestly, I almost don't want too say this out loud but the excitement that I am feeling could very easily having me purchasing  many unnecessary items. Leaving me in debt and her with the coolest, bedazzled dorm room that ever whirled around U of G.
No joke, I am seeping with  joy at the thought of decorating her space. She on the other hand is naturally playing it all off like its "no big deal". I know she's eager, excited and nervous all wrapped up in this ever so cool exterior. But that's why I love her, she's her fathers daughter and she has learned to not feed off my high spirits. The excitement pops off me like flea's,
 you can almost see the little bastards popping off me with little firecrackers lighting up and sparking my whole universe. It's outrageous~

Anyone who knows me, knows I am a planner. I like my lists. If you haven't started shopping yet let me tell you that Bed, Bath and Beyond has their shit together. Kailey and I ventured into that store and right before our eye's they provided lists....lists to your exact dorm room..within your very own University.
They did all the work for you, it was amazing! They had Kailey's residence listed, along with all the do's and dont's. It was perfect.

I am going to share with you a generalized list, some items you can at least start to think about. It's just the time to start planning~

My daughters dorm room provided these items:
Bed/mattress (check for sizing)                            Cable TV
Dresser                                                                   Internet Access
Wardrobe/closet                                                     Shower
Desk/chair                                                           
Overhead lighting
Mirror
Window coverings

We have to provide the following:

Bedding & Accessories:                                           Storage & Organization:
Sheets (suggest 2-3 sets)                                              Hangers
Mattress pad and protector                                           Double closet rod
Mattress Topper (Foam Topper)                                  Storage crates/utility Bins
Bed pillows, Pillow cases                                             Under bed storage                                       
Comforter                                                                     Bed Risers
Blanket/Throw                                                              Memo Boards
Alarm clock                                                                  Over-the-door Mirror
                                                                                     Wall safe Adhesive (3M) For hanging pictures
                                                                                     Flashlight
                                                                                     First aid kit
                                                                                     Umbrella
Bath/Personal Care:                                                 Desk Accessories:
Towels/washcloths (2-3 sets recommended)              Desk lamp/light bulbs
Bathrobe/shower shoes                                               Desk supplies/calculator
Shower caddy                                                              Lap desk/bed desk
Personal supplies/soap/shampoo etc                           Bulletin board/dry erase board
Hair dryer/curling iron etc
Toothbrush
Shaving supplies

Laundry & Cleaning:                                               Electronics & Auto:
Laundry bag/basket                                                     Surge protectors/Power strips
Laundry supplies                                                         USB Hub/ Wall Adaptors      
Drying rack                                                                 Extension cords
Iron w/auto Shut off/steamer                                      Ear buds/ Headphones
Cleaning supplies, Broom/dust pan                            Portable charger
Hand vacuum             
Step stool
Wastebasket & Trash bags

Room Décor:                                                             Kitchen Tools & Dining:
Area rug                                                                     Water pitcher                 
Toss Pillows/floor cushions                                       Food storage
Frames                                                                        Plates, Bowls and eating utensils
Backrest                                                                      Can opener
Odour eliminator/room fragrance
Fan

So there you have it, this was the list I found at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Your best bet would be to go to your nearest store and find the list that suits your child's dorm. But if you are just stopping by and hadn't given this much thought then there you go...its a start.
Well friends, we put a dent in this list but have a long way to go. Its fun, we are having a great time with it. I hope if this is what you are experiencing right now in your life that you too can enjoy it.
Until tomorrow my friends, goodnight and god bless~

1 comment:

  1. going to be so exciting to decorate her dorm room. Good luck figuring it all out,

    ReplyDelete