Saturday, June 23, 2012

Saturday morning Coffee



Saturday Morning Musings...
Not much on the homefront my friends, my mom is having a garage sale today...oh I remember the days! Getting up early to set up tables, and all the wonderful treasures that use to be of much importance. The kids up and out the door, usually with a lemonade stand..neighbours coming around to browse through your good ol'"junk"..I miss those days!
Today no one in this house EVER has the energy to get up early on a Saturday morning. Those days are long gone. Lounge time has arrived, coffee, music, outside in the backyard..lazy Saturday morning breakfasts. We've waited a long time my friends for the days where someone else would be coming in on a weekend to get Braden up and ready for the day. Its a beautiful thing, Paul or I do not have to get up and hour and a half early anymore to have breakfast and then go into get Braden out of bed. We finally after 17 years have someone who does just that, and we love it! Still not use to it..we still have trouble sitting down in the morning, its hard to completely relax when you've lived 17 years of the same old routine..we've always envied all you out there with able bodied children. Don't take for granted the fact that you're healthy child or teen can get themselves out of bed, make their own breakfast, dress themselves and play outside for the day...cause honestly...you've got it made!!  Anyways our days are here..hopefully they last, I mean seriously its not  new to us to have someone quit and leave us back to where we started...so for know, in this moment..we will enjoy!
What's in the news lately??
Did you hear about the little bastards on the news who bullied that elderly lady on the bus?? I do not know all the details..but I heard just a smidge and saw an eyeful of the video recording where these kids verbally abuse a lady on the bus and actually make her cry. OMG...what would you do if this was your own son? I couldn't fathom that..how could a child be that mean?? It is terrible what they did!
I'll tell you one thing...the natural consequence of something like this to me would MAKE my son actually volunteer in an old age home....AND i'd make him take a course in compassion and empathy. Through the communtiy there are programs at our local centres on dealing with elderly or children, cooking, writing..etc etc..and trust me..his ass would be so wrapped around time spent with the elderly..he'd start walking with a cane!! (figuratively speaking ;)
Thats the problem with kids these days...they don't have any consequences, parents just don't take the time to make their children pay the prices, due their time or take responsibility. Its sad..it really is! In ALL of Kailey's school years she has NEVER been late, unless I ok'd it with the school. Once this year...just last week..she woke up late, and went to school late...I would not validate that lateness (it was becoming a habit) SO, she went to school and paid for the price, she sat through a detention..then on top of that, we grounded her for a weekend. Not sure who she thinks she is...going into school late, and then dismissing it like its no big deal (that was the part that pissed me off the most). She didn't seem to think too much of it, she argued its the end of the year, teachers aren't teaching anything new etc etc..she's probably right, but its the principle. Those are things that turn into habits and then escalate to personality traits and NO thank you..its not one i'd like my child to have. Even though it wasn't a really big deal..and like I said she's never had a detention or a lateness that hadn't been validated...we still feel she has a responsibility and its not ok to make your own rules. Let's hope it doesn't happen again..probably won't..i think she was embarrassed about the detention and she missed a friends get together over this whole ordeal.
Like I said, these kids that brutally bullied that elderly lady need a swift kick in the ass (sadly..not literally) and I hope those parents don't just blow it off and let them get away with it. I love that its in the media, and we as parents need to show OUR children what had happened, this gives family the chance to sit down and talk about many things. I know we did, we went out for dinner and had a great conversation around bullying and abuse. So parents, take the time to talk...lets teach this generation something about empathy!
Cheers friends...loving the summer weather!!

2 comments:

  1. I slept in today too and am now making rolled oats with rasins and cinamon for breakfast. I don't have any kids to share it with but I am chatting with one of my granddaughters in Edmonton on FB..... I wonder if that counts as sharing..... I'll pretend that it is....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Ed...i think that counts in sharing!! Braden sometimes "shares" a beer with his best friend Spencer over skype..he lives in Calgary! He has his best laughs that way!

    ReplyDelete