Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sedentary lifestyle...


Sedentary lifestlye: is a medical term used to denote a lifestyle with a lack of physical exercise. Today was a day that I really hadn't expected, but things turned out regardless. I had decided that this morning I would get up, have a run, bake some banana bread, do some laundry then get groceries. I was mistaken, when Braden had came out for breakfast he reminded me that I was going to let him stay home for the morning so he could study for his exam tomorrow. I of course was going to help him do this and devote my time to him. There went my wonderful plans for the day, I am not going to deny that I was upset that I wasn't going to get to run. I so needed a good run, yesterday I missed running and going to the gym because I had to clean the house and have it ready for a meeting with our rehab consultant. I had to clean 3 bathrooms..which did take most of my morning hours. So, off I went and set Braden up in the kitchen and we studied together for 3 hours. During this time my back was paining, and all I could hear was my treadmill downstairs screaming for me to run. It yelled up those stairs reminding me that a good run always alleviates any discomfort that I am having due to back pain.
Once I was done with Braden I had made a decision to go downstairs and pound the hell out of my treadmill, I put on my running shoes and burned rubber! As I predicted my backpain was erased. I felt fabulous, not only because I no longer was in pain but because I followed through with a goal.I pushed myself into doing something that I clearly didn't feel like doing, but knew I would benefit greatly if I did.
Being a nurse I have seen tragic life situations that people find themselves in because they choose to live a sedentary lifestyle. There is resent research that shows that a sedentary lifestlye causes more deaths than even smoking. Basically being a couch potatoe can kill you! After seeing so many middle aged/older age people become diagnosed with heart disease, diabetes, respiratory ailments and cancer I immediately educated my family in hopes that they will continue to live a healthy, active life. Luckily both my parents are gym members and work out regularly, they eat healthy and visit the doctor every 6 months. I am so pleased that they take their health seriously and put it high on their priority list, I am grateful for that because it means they want to be here for a long time! My dad has always been a gym member...for years and if I remember correctly he joined with hopes to release back pain as well. My mom shortly followed suit and is more active today then she has ever been. I have been a member of a gym for years as well, during school though I didn't attend too much. Paul has forever been a resistance trainer, always has been in great shape and thankfully takes his health very seriously. Both my kids are active, and participate in sports faithfully. Kailey will be joining our gym this April in order to keep in shape for her upcoming junior year in ringette. I never want my family to loose sight on the importance of healthy bodies, I hope I have instilled in them the values and benefits of keeping their bodies and mind in strong and powerful conditions.
A sedentary lifestlye is a choice, and even though on tough days when unexpected events or situations arise I still do my best to put on my running shoes and hit treads of sweat and tears! When its all said and done, the feeling is divine and so worth the hard work. It is known that the more you use your body, the healthier it gets--physical activity can reduce the risk of colon cancer by 50%,it reduces high blood pressure, stroke and coronary heart disease by 50%. Regular physical activity improves function and relieves symptoms of people with rheumatoid arthritis and reduces medication in some instances. If you put this all together, you can see that physical activity can benefit the body. It is life changing, life altering and life everlasting. I am fortunate enough to have that ability to run however even a 30 minute walk will be helpful to the long, healthy life you want to live!

A healthy attitude is contagious
but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment