Monday, January 25, 2010

Number 5 will do just fine....I guess!!


Well tonight on Dr. Oz, they discussed questions teenage girls may have about sex. They also touched on the relationships that we have with our teenagers as parents. I do spend an incredible amount of time with my teenage daughter due to her ringette schedule. Naturally, we have the opportunity to chat and discuss things in life, including all the wonderful and exciting things that are going on in her life. I absolutely love having this relationship with Kailey and at times wondered if possibly, maybe we were too close. Most moms may say.."how can you honestly ever be too close". I agree..I should be the number one person who she confides in or tells her secrets too. I am the safe place for her to come and share. I will always love her no matter what she has to say, and I would never hurt her. That makes sense...right? Thankfully she tells me most everything, and I think I know most of what is happening in her social circles. Yesterday Kailey received some pretty exciting news for her...yes it had something to do with a boy! At around 10pm she came out of her bedroom to tell me this wonderful news, I was very happy for her. Naturally I asked her if anyone else new, i assumed with it being 10pm most of her friends would be in bed or at least off their computers. Thinking that I was number 1 and the first one to get this information...I was sadly mistaken! She had already told the fabulous 4! This group of girls are her closest, most reliable, incredible, fun and trustworthy friends any 13 year old girl could have. They spend every weekend together, often hopping from house to house for numerous never-ending sleepovers. I was happily number 5, no I was not the first to know..and that is just fine. I was relieved actually that she doesn't feel that she needs to tell me everything right away and that she does prefer to enjoy these moments with her "fabulous 4". I do believe that there is a fine line between mother and daughter relationships, in my opinion it is not safe for a mom to be a best friend, we need to be mom's! I want Kailey to have her own experiences with love, heartache, breakups,makeups, friendships, disagreements and all the great things teenage girls can experience. I do hope to be there, and always be available to her for advice or just a ear to listen or arms to hold and hug her...
It was Paul who said tonight that I will probably never be number 1 again, that those days are gone. They leave us so quick, I was number 1 for 13 years....I have dropped to number 5! I will stay here in 5th place and eagerly wait to placed number one again...someday!!

2 comments:

  1. Wanted to let you know that just because I'm not commenting doesn't mean I'm not keeping up to date on your blog....... and feeding those very hungry fishies.... :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ed, and no worries! Not expecting comments all the time, I appreciate the time you take to read! Thanks again,
    xox

    ReplyDelete