Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Happy Father's Day to three of my favorite men~

Although Fathers Day was a few days ago, I still want to blog about it. What a great day we had, we invited both our dad's this year. Paul's dad and his wife Suzanne came over for dinner, along with my parents. I ordered pizza for dinner, that way there was no cooking and I could enjoy the whole visit and give my attention to the conversations being had around the table.
 

Because I am spoiled ;) Suzanne and my father in law brought me this lovely arrangement of flowers. I have them on my dining room table, they are just so pretty. The flowers also came with a beautiful vase...I needed another one too, so that worked out great for me!
Thank you Suzanne and dad for the flowers, it was a wonderful surprise~


Here are my three favorite dad's in the world. I love each of them with all my heart, each of them for different reasons. My Dad is obviously the man who raised me, kept me safe, taught me boundaries and provided me with a wonderful childhood. As he and I both got older, he actually became very much a support system, he is very wise and seems to be the strength in our family.
My dad did not have it easy as a youngster, and at a very young age he became a father (to me.). He was only 18 years old and had to hold down a job to support his wife and young daughter. There wasn't much guidance in parenting from his parents, although I have to say he did get some pretty important qualities from both his parents. His mother had a wonderful sense of humor, and thankfully my dad inherited that from her. Thankfully he brought that into our childhoods, and both my brother and I developed some pretty funny coping skills. Humor is the key to surviving any pain, and I am so blessed to have acquired the ability to laugh. My grandmother was also a lover, she loved her family and made sure each one of us knew that. She had the best way of showing her children and her grandkids just how special each one of us was. My dad is the same, he has always in his own way showed us the love we needed to feel safe and secure in our home.
My dad also inherited a "no bullshit" attitude which I believe he got from his father. Growing up in our home we had rules, and god help us If we broke them. My dad never allowed drama in our home, he kept it out and never allowed us to run the house. I use to get so  upset with the rules, but now that I am an adult I understand the importance of that. We always felt safe, we knew if dad was around no one would ever get away with any bullshit. Thank you dad, I do feel the reason my family is a happy, well rounded, hard working group Is because Paul and I have been very careful with what and who we allow to influence our family life.
 
 My father in law is the most kind hearted man I have ever known. He is a caregiver, he loves his family fiercely and everything he does he does with passion. He taught my husband to be a hardworker and a loyal family man. My father in law is one of the most interesting people to sit down and talk too, his stories I could sit and listen too forever.
 I have always admired the dedication he has to his whole family (and its a big family). He has raised 6 wonderful adults, with his wife and provided a stable, loving family home. I always have adored how much he loves his wife(s). He was an incredible caring and compassionate man to his first wife and mother to his children. My father in law supported her daily, encouraging her and guiding her gently with a steady hand while she recovered from a brain aneurism.
After she passed, he met Suzanne. She brought something new into his life, and he once again found the love and companionship he so deserved. Still today he is the pillar of stability that she needs, his unconditional love is admirable. Every man could learn from him~  
My hubby is too me the best man ever, and I was blessed to have met him and had two beautiful children. He is the perfect mix of both my dad and my father in law. They say you marry your father, or that you marry a man similar to you dad. It has taken me some time to see that, but for sure my husband shadows my dad in many ways. But the things he has taken from his father is why I love him. Paul has been my protector, my rock, my soft spot and my world. He has dedicated his own life to make mine better, he is selfless, and works harder than any other man I know. Although I have witnessed much tragedy in my life, I have to say the best thing that ever happen to me was meeting my man. I wouldn't be where I am today without him.
So to each of these special men who I am blessed to have in my life, I want to say thank you for being you. Thank you for being the amazing men, husbands and fathers you could be. I love you~ 

Oh and this dessert was absolutely delightful. It is the old Knotty Pine Buttered Almond cake. which I bought from Pioneer BBQ in Kitchener. SO GOOD!!



Paul and his dad with Suzanne in the background, we had gotten Paul's dad a gift card to Home Hardware, He seemed pretty happy with that!


So, my dad and Paul play Corn hole non-stop for 3 years, they absolutely love this game. My dad is always talking about who the Cornhole king is, sometimes its my dad and sometimes its Paul. I had the idea to have some shirts made for them. Above Paul is holding up his shirt which says "Boss of the Toss" and below my dad has his shirt which says "King of Corn Hole"...I think they liked them. I know they will wear them the next time they are at the cottage and have the chance to play. They need to get Leonard down there to play and show them both how its done :)

Overall my friends this fathers day was a great success. I was so pleased to have all three men around my table. I hope to do it again next year~
Well my lovelies, unitl tomorrow good night and god bless xo



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like everyone had a great day. Love the shirts.

    ReplyDelete