Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tuesdays Talk...A personal promise I made to myself.

So many many years ago as I stood at the bedside of my VERY ill son, I reasoned with myself that with whatever the consequences of his recovery..I would forever provide him with the best childhood he deserved.
I had NO idea what I was in for...this whole idea of raising a child with special needs terrified me, it was one train I didn't want to board. Unfortunatly for us..we had no choice it was happening and I had to come to terms with that.
My first thought was...How am I going to make sure he experiences everything all his little buddies were doing? It became my life mission to give him all he wanted and so rightly desereved.
I guess in my mind, he was born able bodied...so why should his childhood change just cause he could no longer walk? People comment today at Braden's strength and positivity he has in this life, the life that became such an obstacle in one left hand turn. I truly believe it was because we had the mind set that he would not miss out. If I were to share any advice today to parents raising a child with a physical disability it would be just that, make it work...what ever it is he/she wants to experience..just MAKE it work. Anything is possible if you want it bad enough, and nothing certainly stopped us. (You can't be lazy while raising a child with special needs..thats for sure).
I also think the best thing we did was have Kailey, seriously we had many predicaments in our family life at times when Kailey would want to do something and Braden wasn't physically capable. But guess what..once again we made it work.
Here are just a small choice of pictures from his childhood...and once again, where there is a will there is a way..and NO was never an option while raising this perfect little boy. If his sister was going to do it...so was he!!



1 comment:

  1. Braden was so lucky to have both you and paul make sure he didn't miss out on anything and you are right, I think that's what help mold him into the young man he is today! I love the pics!

    ReplyDelete