Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Broken heart healed...



Today was my 19th anniversary and I'd like to express my love and gratitude for my husband...but that will have to wait until another evening. We had a wonderful day, and this year we did something so special and meaningful that I just need a few days till i'm ready to share it with you. So, my next post will come with a complete description of my day today and the special events that came with it.
Unfortunatley today's post is a sad to happy post...yes it going to start out terrible but incrediably it ends on a VERY happy note!
Yesterday on my way to Hamilton with Braden(he had to see his surgeon) I was travelling on Highway 8....driving 80 MPH and a  beautiful King Springer Spaniel Dog ran out onto the highway into on coming traffic. The car that was driving towards Cambridge managed to nearly miss him, however he continued into my lane which I did not see...and with great sadness...I struck him. *tears shedding*
I was driving my BIG black Ford Van, and because he ran in between 2 cars...he snuck out and ran into my drivers side, I heard the bang...and new immediately that I cranked him. I panicked, I lost my senses and very nervously I looked in my side mirror and caught the dog flipping through the air, turning head over heal, flying...until he fell to the ground. I pulled my van over...got out..and started running towards the dog. He was NOT moving...and he laid mangled in the road. I thought for sure he was dead and as I was running to him I was terrified, I was sick..I so did not want to approach him. As I got closer, all of a sudden he jumped up..and took off to the side of the road where he collapsed once again. Holy shit...immediatly I felt devine intervention, lol..it was like he rose from the dead. Being a nurse however, even in the short time that I worked in a hospital (although i've been around them probably more than most nurses) I have witnessed patients who get one final bout of energy right before they pass away. This was going through my mind at this time.
Thank GOD some people stopped, actually one couple saw the accident and turned around to come back to see if any assistance was needed. Two cyclists were there as well, they helped with the dog and everyone went into action. I of course, thought he was dying..he looked so bad. He was bleeding from the mouth, from the nose and his hind leg had a gaping wound that looked like it clearly needed stitches. At this point, i'm still thinking he isn't going to make it and I'm waiting for at any moment he would die. How do you brace  yourself to watch a dog die at the side of the road in which you accidently hit?! (note: Harley's passing and anxieties entered here)
Everyone who was at the sight went into action and we started calling some numbers that were on his dog tags. Unfortunatly the number on the tag was out of order...so ANYONE reading this who has a dog with a dog tag PLEASE PLEASE have it updated and get proper numbers on it!! I got ahold of the breeder and she told me to take him to a vet, (which we were going to do anyways) and she would call me back once she located the owners of the dog. She too had an old number..but she had their names, so it was a start. In the mean time, a wonderful young man showed up with his Ford F150 truck and a blanket in which the cyclists wrapped up Ben(the dog's name, we found out afterwards) and they very carefully loaded him into the back of the guys truck. I followed behind them to be sure they were safe because the cyclist sat in the back of the truck with the dog. Thankfully there was a vet just down the road on Highway 8, so we pulled in and they came out with a stretcher for Ben and transferred him into the facility. Ben was conscious, shaking and pale..but he was alive!! The four of us who took care of him exchanged names, hugs and thank you's and they were on their way! I stayed back a few minutes until I knew that the vet had a name and number for the dog...just before I left dear Ben they had left a message on his owners phone, i knew they'd come for him. I left, in tears...I also left my phone number and asked for an update a few hours later. Obviously we did not make our appointment, I was very shaken by the time we got home and the rest of my day was spent with tears. I really didn't think Ben would survive. At around 5 pm I called the vet to see how he was and they said "he's actually doing really well"...I was STUNNED!! Seriously, this dog should NOT have survived..I even asked her if she saw the size of my van?? LOL...she said yes she did and he's one lucky pup. I said that i'd call in the morning to be sure he had continued success in his recovery. The vet phoned this morning and informed me that Ben is doing incrediably well and would be going home today. I asked about his injuries and she said they thought he may have had a broken jaw, but it doesn't look too bad today. The didn't suspect internal injuries, however he is very sore and banged up. We discussed a bit how he could have survived and she suspects the same thing Paul did..he must have hit my van but then was thrown underneith my van and by shear luck managed to come out alive. My van is a raised one inorder to accomadate the lift for Braden's wheelchair, so thankfully for Ben he had room underneith to roll under and not get to beaten up.
Let me tell you...I HAVE unfortunatley been that scared before..actually, obviously alot more scared at one time in my life. This experience did impact me, it was horrible...you all know how much I love dogs..and to think that one was suffering just ripped my heart apart.
I am aware that this was not my fault and this morning I spoke to the dog's breeder and she filled me in on the family, she commented that they are in a bit of trouble just because the dog should be properly locked up and safe. When you buy a dog from a good breeder you do sign papers that bind you to a contract that you will follow certain rules. We did as well with our labs, so the breeder has some questions for these owners. The dog clearly needs new tags and update contact information, that was the biggest inconvienence as we were on the side of the road trying to find an owner... my heart still hurts for Ben. I am thanking god today that he is fine, I will move on and count my blessings that this beautiful boy survived and has a second chance at life! Everyone involved yesterday did a miraculous job and I thanked them all so very much, I wouldn;t have been able to handle this situation on my own. I was hoping to hear from the owners...but the vet didn't seem impressed with them and nor did the breeder. Both of whom stated these owners need to call all of those involved and give much thanks as it was THIER dog running out into traffic and was almost killed. Its ok if I don't hear from them...bottom line is that Ben is going to be fine, he survived and once again my prayers were answered!

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine how you must have felt. You are right it wasn't your fault. But through someone else's neglect you had to go through what you did. You may never get a call or a thank you from the owners for what you did, but you have a big heart and you took responsibilty for what happened and you did a great job getting ben the help and care he needed to make sure he was ok and because of that he made it and is going to be ok. Something you never want to go through, but I know you have a big heart and a love for dogs an you did an amazing thing for Ben yesterday. I am glad he is going to be ok. Was nice to see other people stop and help you as well, those days seem to be far and few between, now a days people know want to take the time to stop and help. Glad to see there are still some of us around who would stop and help! Makes it a bit easier knowing he is going to be ok. Hang in there i know it was very difficult yesterday, but you did an amazing thing for Ben, you stopped and helped him andd for that he is still here. Stay strong my friend! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete