Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cozumel...

I will start with a picture of our rooms. At first I was a bit surprised with the accomadations...I love my luxury! It wasn't completly what I had expected but within 5 minutes I was in love with my new home for the week. The outside is rugged, complete with a hammock which was kinda cool. But the inside was very nice, it had central air, ceramic tile walk in shower, clean soft white towels, comfy king size beds and a TV with american channels. It also had a stocked fridge and coffee maker. It was basic but very nice. Really we didn't spend much time in there anyways...it was only for sleeping. Sue and Jeff had the room below us, that made it easy to connect and make plans at the end of the day. Morning coffee's were wonderful, step outside into a jungle right outside our room. We enjoyed the hammock, was a challenge getting in and out of it...but nonetheless it was relaxing! Each morning was spent sitting outside with our tea and coffee, listening to the birds and the ocean which was only steps away...we had a room very close to the water. That was the best feature!
We also had visitor's every mornign, there was revisiting Iguana lizard who stayed close to our hut as well as Peacocks. Below is a picture of our Iguana that stayed with us most of the holiday!


One of the peacocks that roamed around the resort!






Most of you know that Paul and I have been to Cozumel Mexico before, actually a couple times. I think the thing that brings us back so much is the feeling of freedom! Whenever you go somewhere new, you usually wonder about your saftey and whether or not you have the freedom to leave the resort and adventure out into their culture and society. Well my friends...in Cozumel, you not only leave your resort but you mingle with the locals. Actually during this trip we were called "local's" by a local himself.
On certain days of the week the cruise ships dock and all the tourists venture off the boat into the depths of downtown Cozumel. This is where the store owners and sales people, hook, line and sink you! They mark up their merchandise and souveigner's at least by 80%, those who do not have experience will pull out thier crisp American 100.00 dollar bills, or thier freshly raised credit cards and shop away.
Paul and I have known this tactic for years and usually tend to stay away from the downtown during the visits from cruise ships...this year though we didn't. We had an experience where a shop owner asked which ship are we off of as we were looking around. We told him we were not on a ship, we told him where we were staying and he smiles and say's "oh, your locals then" I make you a special price!! HA. I was right, they mark up at least 80% our friend Sue wanted to buy a t-shirt and the price went from 20.00 dollars down to $5.00...unbelievable.
We travelled this time with some great friends, Sue and Jeff. It was our first time getting away with another couple, and we had a blast. We shared many laughs...mostly at the expence of eachother, we all shared a common sunburn, Sue tried a Mojito..which she loved, Paul broke a sandle (story and pics to follow) drunkin adventure on a pirate ship left him bloody, bruised and yelling out to Mexican's because he apparently thinks when people don't speak english...they are also deaf..HA. We snorkled off the coast of the Carribean Ocean, Sue and Paul did great...I unfortuantley cut it short and panicked...not sure why? I love to snorkel..might have been the rough waters that made me nervous! We rented a jeep (pics to follow) and came across Crocodilly's...ancient Mayan ruin's and Coconut's filled with Pina Colada's...that was a great day! I just love Cozumel, I would recommend it to anyone!! More stories and pics to follow in the upcoming blogs~
Nice to be away but always nice to come home to my family!!

1 comment:

  1. I love your pics so far lol and cant wait to hear the stories. I know you needed this and I am glad it all worked out!

    ReplyDelete