Monday, February 21, 2011

Doula Love...


Just like I had commented in yesterday's blog I seem to have a hammering about learning! I seem to be only completely happy when I am filling my brain with knowledge of all good things wondeful. So, when I saw this ad for a workshop about working towards becoming a Post Partum Doula...I thought, "What the heck?" What can it hurt? Let's just go on in, check it out and see if its something that might interest me!
Guess what??...It totally interests me! Not only, is there job opportunities but there's also owning my own buisness options as well. How exciting is that? When I was working at thet hospital in Post Partum I had found that I felt at home. This seemed to be where I belonged, Surgery was good...I felt like I was helping people and it was great! But working with new mom's who were just slightly unsure of their new life style change...was definately my calling. I even recieved a letter from the head of the Post Partum Dept. who had seen first had my skills and abilities during an "intervention" with a mom who was just not listening to the nursing staff. There is no secret to having success in this department, you just go with what works...and what works is just being real..being you! Get down to their level, throw away the medical lingo. Put away your nursing title for a breif moment and just become a listener...that's exactly what I did during one of the most profound moments I had while working as a Post Partum nurse.
While at this workshop I had so many great ideas about starting my own buisness, it became overwhelmingly exciting! I'm not "for sure" putting away my nursing career...I will remain registered and I will continue to educate myself in the field. But, its really nice to be able to add some other details to my resume. Another workshop that I am looking forward to doing is the baby massage, I would love showing parents how to massage their babies and promote stronger bonds while doing so.
One topic that I most of you know is dear to my heart and soul is working with new mom's of special needs babies. I have 2 years to complete this training, and have no doubt I will love every minute of it!
I still have so much to learn, wow..so much has changed since I have had my children. I'm not going to get to worked up about it though as the women who I met on the weekend were wonderful. I know if I have any questions or concerned I have a support team there that will help out in anyway they can.



I have not forgotten about writing my book, that is still going to happen and I am starting to plan for the beginning. I have a course that I am taking the end of March and I am hoping that I become inspired and productive once I can sort through my ideas and feelings. I will keep you posted on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment