Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wednesday's Reflection..

Normally on Wednesday's I upload a picture from the past and talk about it...sometime in life that was important or memorable. I am not going to upload a picture tonight from my life, but I am going to show you a picture that made me tear up today! Below is a picture that over the years I have not seen enough of!

Here is the story behind this picture...
Candy and I went to Port Dover today for a day of shopping and sun soaking. It was so nice, I very much enjoyed our afternoon. We got to Dover at around 12:00pm for lunch, did a bit of shopping...bought matching keychains to remember our afternoon and we sat on the beach and talked, laughed and people watched. As we were sitting on the beach a man with 3 young kids approached our area to set up his beach towels and oh-so cute kids who waited patiently while their father tended to their disabled brother. I was in awe of this man...the memories of our beach days came flooding back very powerfully...bringing me to tears. There he was..the father, struggling to push that wheelchair through the sand onto the beach just to give his son the experience that we all crave in the summertime heat. As he was pushing the wheelchair, I knew what he was thinking.."god this is tough, its like pushing through quick sand", it is one of the most tiring activities that we as parents of physically disabled children have to go through...difficult but more rewarding than anything else physically possible. To see that young boy sit on the beach, play in the sand and experience the water like all the other children is so gratifying. I watched as this father, changed the younger two children, lathered them with sunscreen, lifted his disabled son out of his wheelchair and carried him into the water just to stand there and let that little boy have that moment. It was beautiful, I so remember those days. It was strange for me to see another man living the same life that we live. I mean, his actions were exactly the same as Paul's were not to long ago. I felt for him, although he did seem really pleased..they all appeared to be pretty happy. As we watched the dynamics of the family, Candy and I noticed that for about 5 minutes the dad waded out into the water..all alone. Leaving his 3 children to play on the beach by themselves. The dad did have his eye on them and wasn't too far away, of course as a mom and a women...my eyes didn't leave the children, just instinct I think to make sure that they were safe. Initially Candy and I were feeling like the man shouldn't be leaving them alone, it looked a bit dangerous...we felt uneasy about it. But then I thought about the big picture and I thought about our moments in life that could potentially become overwhelming and then it hit me. Who are we to judge this man? How dare I not realize that he probably needs 5 minutes to himself...seriously I bet 5 minutes were needed to regain his strength and sanity to continue to carry, lift and struggle his way through his afternoon on the beach and all the while....having to smile for his children. I remember needing just 5 minutes...as my back and shoulders were aching from carrying or lifting my child, all I wanted was a few minutes to myself to relax my arms, relax my mind inorder to give them all they deserved.
Once the man returned to the shore, he was rejuvinated. I could see the relief on his face. He came back to his children ready to play and entertain them and give them a couple hours together as a family.
You know, anyone can argue that all parents feel that way...and you know what? You're right! All parents need time to themselves...you could even argue that just because he has a child with special needs what makes it that much more difficult for him? Let me tell you my friends...raising a child with special needs is not even almost comparable to having a healthy child. The added strain, stress and emotional discomfort is not measurable...and any parent of a "special" child should never be judged for their coping stradegies. The positive and most important part of having these precious moments is watching that child smile, knowing how important it is to them, how much more they are enjoying it over children who experience it all the time. It is truly a feeling which words cannot express, if I could pick one word to try to give it meaning I would have to choose...celestial bliss. Ok, technically..that's two words, but only one meaning!
It really hit home, that use to be us! I wondered what people use to think of us? I bet there were many mothers and fathers sitting close by to us, thinking the same things that I was today. I was so pleased to see that wheelchair on the beach today...and even more pleased to see that little boy out of the wheelchair, enjoying the beach!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we did have a nice day in Port Dover, talking about the past, presnt and future and no kids lol. I enjoyed it very much!
    Your picture was memeories of the past when we would all go to the beach and take turns pushing the chair n the beach. But was so nice to see a child playing on the beach in the sand. every child deserves a day to play on the beach no matter what! You and paul had to deal with this everyday as we only did once in awhile when we went out together! Today is was so nice to see someone else take their child out no matter what the cost! And yes at first we were like where is the father, as you said all he needed was 5 minutes. But seeing the child in the sand smiling was enough. More children with disbailities should have the chance to live as much a normal life as they can, i do have to say about you and Paul you made sure that always happened with braden, he did as much as any child without a disability did, you made sure of that and I know he will thank you, because you pushed him and gave him so many memories to remember not far from a child who can walk! Thats what makes me so proud of you both, you always always made sure no matter what, life was as normal as it could possibly be for you and your family. Love you guys with all my heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly brought back memories for me! It was so nice to have that time with you and catch up without kids, we haven't had the chance to do that alot over the years! Thanks for all the wonderful comments...again, you always say such nice things..and I do appreciate them however i do know if the roles were reveresed, you would have done the same for your child as well! We love you guys too...and thanks for always being there, without judgement or critisizm! XOX

    ReplyDelete