Thursday, January 14, 2010

She's growing up..

Here I am at 10:50pm sitting in front of my computer drinking a cup of tea. I had many ideas throughout the day on things that I could blog about, but here I am and I only can think of one thing and that is how quick she has grown up. Today was so busy, I won't go into the full events of the day but at 3:00 I had to pick up Kailey from school and drive over to Lincoln Ave. Kailey had a basketball game afterschool and I had volunteered to be a driver for the team. After basketball we had a quick dinner then set out for an evening spent at Southwood Highschool. This is where we were introduced to the idea of our 13 year old daughter attending highschool. I was not ready for this at all I remember this day like it was yesterday..see pic below


You see, this was a wonderful day, the day she was born! One of the most important days of my life, at the time she was born nobody warned me not to blink because when you open your eyes you will be standing in Southwood Highschool choosing school sports and which math class will benefit your future goals, hopes and dreams. Why does it go so fast? I still want the days on the beach, long hours just watching her play, hearing her laugh and having no worries in the world... I liked those days,it was much easier back then.
>

I still remember her first day of kindergarten, she was so beautiful. So tiny and not ready to take on the big bad world. Actually that day (see pic below) was a



difficult one because I was torn between being at Kaileys first day of kindergarten or being at Bradens bedside. He was at McMaster at the time with pneumonia, and was on life support...I opted to be with Kailey. I dropped her off at school and stayed a little to make sure she settled. I told her that nana and papa would be picking her up and she was going to spend time with them untill mommy got home after dinner. It was a hard day, trusting that she was going to be ok, believing in her at only 4 years old that she could handle it and be strong. I questioned if I had prepared her enough for this big step, if I had given her all the tools she needed to be independant and not be frightened of her new environment. I kinda felt the same way tonight, except on a slightly larger scale. I am not doubting myself or wondering anymore if I have done the best that I can, if I have provided her with all the instructions and directions that she will need to succeed in this new found space of freedom. I am completely confident in her, she is an amazing young women who is filled with so much knowledge, strengh,desire and determination. She will be extraodinary and I have no doubt that she will flourish and make the best of these coming years. I just hope I have imprinted in her heart to remember to have fun doing so, its the most important thing to remember. Paul and I have some big changes coming up these next few years, our baby is going into highschool and our boy will be making some college or university choices and some career decisions. We are at a new place in life, it is at times scary to think of the future, I have only known the past. I guess we will take it one day at a time, and try not to look back to much or we may forget to "GO FORWARD".

4 comments:

  1. Go Forward. Superman :)
    This is fanastic Chrissy.
    Can you believe me & Braden will be graduated NEXT year. NEXT YEAR!! That's SO soon!!! We will be 18 years old!! Crazy to think that! But also exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog tonight brought back some wonderful memories from the distant past... Do you remember when your dad had the broken foot and had to hobble around on crutches? During that time all of you came up to our place and we went out to a friends cottage. As plain as if it happened yesterday, I can recall all of us being down on the dock and your brother was standing at the edge trying to see the fish and Dad put the end of one of his crutches on his butt and pushed.... Sure enough.... In he went... Aren't memories wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes memories are great...thank goodness we have them! I do remember the weekend that you are talking about but I don't think I was there that time?? I remember being home that weekend for the first time by myself, Candy actually stayed with me for one night, the other night we slept at her house. We stayed up all night and listened to Lionel Ritchie..lol, I so remember Shaun being there tho, and there are pictures of him on the dock. I could be mistaken with this memory but I don't remember being there...just being shocked that my parents let me stay home for a night! The beginnign of my new found independance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that you mention it, I think you're absolutely correct. When you get to be my age, I get all excited that I can remember as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete