Thursday, April 16, 2015

Making homemade bread











Well guess what I did today? I made my first ever home made bread. Actually dinner rolls, regardless they were home made and tasted SO good!!
I of course searched Pinterest to find an easy recipe, I am all about easy.
I do not have any fancy mixers, or even a bread machine so I had to do this with my hand held mixer. I never really had any desires to buy a bread maker in previous years. I guess because the thought of homemade bread in the house all the time would be deadly. We opted out of owning one, but lately I kinda like the idea of different breads. My friends Sue makes her own bread all the time, she makes amazing kinds. SO many different types. At their Christmas open house she always has such an array of cheeses, dips, sausages and breads...Oh its so worth the wait~
 
 
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment pour in your milk. Add the yeast and let set for 5 minutes. Add the sugar, eggs, butter and salt and mix on low.
 
Some of the ingredients needed...


Easy Pull Apart Dinner Rolls that can be made ahead and frozen. Bake them the day you need them.

Ingredients:

2 c. warm milk (105°-115° )
2 1/4 oz. pkgs. active dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups all purpose flour





Stir in the flour slowly on low speed until you have a soft dough. You may need more or less than the 6 cups. Replace the paddle with the dough hook and mix on low for 3 - 4 minutes until the dough is supple and satiny



It calls for your dough to sit for an hour, covered and in a warm spot
My dough sat for longer than 1 hour, and boy did it rise....




Punch the dough down and make balls of dough about the size of a golf ball or 2 oz.




Place in a greased pan




Let the rolls raise until doubled in size. If desired you can brush with egg whites and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. I did brush in some egg white but I used some Garlic and Herb Sea salt from Epicure!! AMAZING!!  Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 18 minutes.



Kailey was doing some school work this afternoon at the diningroom table so I took over two hot, freshly  baked dinner rolls and we had a snack. It was delightful.


Then Braden got home from school and we devoured a few more...he loved them too!




It was so nice to have these rolls with our dinner tonight. What a treat...I am seriously thinking on getting a bread maker after todays success. Maybe then I can try some different Artisan Breads.
Well until tomorrow friends, good night and god bless~

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. lol, what a shocker it turned into a non fod related topic between the 2 of you! They look great Chrissy! I so love my bread machine, but I seem to find they only last around 2 years anyways when you use them all the time, the last 3 did for me, so I am thinking abbout the whole homeade from scratch thing as well, You are right all the time can be deadly but they are so much better homemade out of the oven! Looks like you did a great jobb for the first time!

      Delete