Sunday, March 23, 2014

Twist and shout The British Invasion~



What a great night we had. Paul and I went to see Twist and Shout The British Invasion with my parents down at the Cambridge Dunfield Theatre. This production by far was the best one yet, even though the music era was before my time it was filled with some of the worlds greatest...really timeless songs. The play featured such artists as The Beatles, Dave Clark Five, The Animals, Tom Jones, The Searchers, The Hollies, The Rolling Stones and many many more amazing classic's. I absolutely loved the way they managed to keep you thinking you were living back in the 1960's. The set design shared 2 large screens that featured the "rockstar's" in black in white footage, making it look like they were straight out of the 60's. They also kept a running joke as they followed almost every scene with a "word from their sponser's", and they would show the old commercials that once played on black and white televisions sets around the world. Bicks pickles was big one, and Alka seltzer for upset stomachs made an apperance a couple times.
They did a fantastic taking you back in time, they had footage of JFK before the assasination, they feature video's of the Beatles and the craziness that followed them. It was nice to see my parents happy, for the most part these songs were a big part of their childhood and early teenage years. They had stories to share as memories came flooding back. You almost try to take yourself back to their time, wondering what they were like as teens, what my mom's bedroom looked like, how she did her hair every morning for school.
Listening back at these old songs and hearing the lyrics and the meanings to each of the songs kinda made me feel sad for todays youth. I mean, i'm all about freedom of expression, expressing yourself in music or art....and don't get me wrong, I very much love todays music. But when you really listen to the messages the artists are selling you...there really mostly all about love, good, clean love. There is no dirty sexual act's being yelled out at you, no one is screaming at you to take off you close and bend down to touch your toes...back then it was all about treating your girl right, and loving your  man.
Of course there were a couple song's I chuckled at as the meanings were in there around a woman "loving" her husband and giving him what he wants to make him happy...lol...oh ok!!
But for the most part...it was innocent, clean song lyrics that made you happy.
The theatre was filled with an "older" crowd as naturally anyone who listen to this in the '60's would all be around 65 today. There was a couple in front of Paul and I and when certain songs played you could see the two of them join hands, lean over and laugh...a couple times they swayed to the music together. You just knew the two of them had spent that time together in life, making memories, probably started a family around that era...maybe even entertained close friends on Friday nights to sound of these songs. How lucky is all I thought, and then it hit me...maybe someday that will be Paul and I sitting in a theatre rehashing our "good ol'days", remembering back to our shindings with friends. Except our music will be Journey, Boston, Phil Collins, pretty much anything from the 80's, and i guess the 70's too. I was very thankful for my life last night, i have the perfect parents who have been married for 43 years...sitting close to one another enjoying the music that at one time brought them together. I had my husband of 22 years sitting with me, laughing with us as we listened to the "Roy Solomon Show", I am blessed. I only hope that someday it will be Paul and I who will sit in that theatre with grey hair (well he's already there ;)) holding hands and reminiscing. What a gift it is too grow old with one person...if you are lucky enough to have that my friends...be thankful, its a gift that unfortunately these days is not given to many.
Until tomorrow my friends, good day and god bless~

No comments:

Post a Comment