Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tuesdays Talk...Special needs moms push away sadness, to focus on the hope of our speical needs childs future.



This is true...we tend to push away our own saddness, pain and sorrows and focus on the hope for our child's future. Being the mother of a special needs child/young adult and the mother of a fully able bodied, "special" in her own way..clear of any "society labels", I would have to admit I have always worried more for my son's future.
With that said, there are mothers and fathers out there that could argue me saying..``we all worry about our childrends future`s`, and I would say to you "of course you do"!!
But, and its a BIG but..when you are a mother/father of a child with special needs....there are always mountains bigger than hope...to move~
Most of you who do not have parent a child with special needs will not understand..nor do we want you too know how much saddness we carry. NOT meaning saddness for our child...saddness for ourselves..or even saddness of our life situations. WE are sad for society, sad for those who live their lives on the fast pace..missing out on the small things in life. We sit silently, listening and watching people get so caught up with what they have, shining their cars, counting their dollar bills..that my friends is sad. Us parents..we get it, we know whats important and if there is anything I can give thanks for during this journey it would be for that.
The pain part of parenting a child with special needs is the hardest part of being a parent. Most of these kids suffer with pain, through medical invasive procedures, social pain of people not understanding their individual needs, emotional pain, mental pain and physical pain of just having aches in their bones and muscles. One of  the hardest pain was the school board...everyone close to me knows the stuggles we had through that. I wouldn't be able to go into detail with one post around the amount of physical pain my son has endured over the years...so we will leave that alone.
 Now that my son is grown, and has successfully completed a college program...i look back and am overwhelmed with the sleepless nights, tearful sleeps, screaming matches with myself and sheer feeling of losing. Having to look at my son, and knowing I had two choices..to give up the fight we were fighting OR  push away my own sadness and think of his future..so we choose to fight...and fight we did. Non-stop.
Now I don't want you to go away from this post thinking all us special needs parents are walking around sad or in pain all the time..LOL..cause to be honest we are pretty much the happiest parents in the world. The reason being simple...it is the special children with all their limitatioins that show us its not them who we need to mould into our society, its society who needs to learn how to mould inorder for them to achieve their highest potential. In my heart of hearts...i believe we have it all figured out, we have peace in our lives, not outside peace...I mean the stuff on the inside. The life that lives in our soul..the life, that when threatened by an outside source only makes us stronger. IT's a fight that not many possess, its the fight that allows us to push away saddness, to focus on the hope of our childs future. 

1 comment:

  1. You are right life passes may by and are more concerned with their big houses, fast cars and truly do miss a lot, unfortunately your family has dealt with a lot, but as I see the years go by you have also built this enormously strong family unit, you never gave up always pushed you kids to the fullest and that's what help mold B who he is, you never gave up on him and you wanted more. He has more a college diploma, you beat the odds my friend, so proud of all of you and who you have become!

    ReplyDelete