Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 11 → Something people seem to compliment you the most on.

I think the number one compliment that I recieve is probably my/our ability to parent a special needs child. I seem to have a positive outlook on how I feel regarding the "rights" of those effected by a disability. I have not been perfect, and I have made some mistakes with making decisions regarding our son. However, when I am passionate and believe in something...nothing gets in my way to make it happen. I don't have all the answers nor do I think that I know everything...I do however believe in human rights and I may have a different idea of how to raise physically challenged children in our community. Maybe its because my son was born healthy, able bodied and perfect...don't get me wrong he is still perfect, but he is no longer able bodied. The day he was born a whole bunch of ideas ran through my mind about who Braden was going to be. He was going to be a hockey player, he would ride a bike, he would date and he would someday be valadictorian. After he was injured and our world was turned upside down... I promised him that all those things I new he would be, he would still be! Come hell or high water I would fight till the death for my son to accomplish what he was born to do and nothing would get in his way while doing so. It was our job to be sure he always had the best quality of life, why should any of our dreams for him have to change just because he could no longer walk? Maybe it was a bit of denial, maybe guilt....regardless of what it was, his opportunities in life were not going to change just because he was physically challenged. I have been offered many opportunities to help and advocate families of children with disabilities! I have always been available to parents and I love to encourage and inspire those who are new to this lifestyle.

With that attitude...not much was getting by me!
I have been asked numerously to speak to families, mothers, fathers and even community agencies so that I can express our thoughts and beleives

No comments:

Post a Comment