Friday, December 10, 2010

Here's the scoop...


So yesterday I cried tears of happiness! I honestly could cry everyday at some point from tears of happiness...I have ALOT to be happy about. Everyday I remind myself of that and I try to never take anything for granted.
You see 15 years ago I had no idea what my life would be like today. Really, none of us do...it can all change in the blink of an eye. I guess because I understand that in life, I really appreciate the happy moments that I am blessed with every day even if these moments only last for seconds.
Braden started his Youth City Council meetings yesterday, We were SO proud of him!
He had to be at the City Hall for 5:30, we were a little early but figured it would be better so that we could get him set up and make sure he was comfortable in his surroundings before I left.
It was a surreal moment for me! Leaving him was the same feeling you get as you leave your child all alone on the first day of kindergarten.
You know, he never ceases to amaze me...as many of you know he does a ton of public speaking and volunteer work so you would think this would be only a natural event for him. Even though he is use to this kind of work, this feeling for me was unbelieveable, there was a such a feeling of pride. There was a moment when I was leaving him, and I turned back to look at him and I mouthed to him "are you ok?" He looked at me with those big eyes, so nervous and excited..he shook his head and said "yes". I breathed a sigh of relief and gave him two thumbs up as I left the room. Immediately I was overwhelmed with joy, I had a flood of memories run through my mind, racing throughout my heart and soul. I filled with tears of happiness...I walked out of that city hall, looked to the sky and took a big deep breath and as I exhaled I was thankful. I was thankful for so many things at that moment. Mostly i was thankful for this time in my life, this time of complete....satisfaction.
How many times have I cried tears of pain and saddness...not knowing what the future would hold for my son. The unknown is the darkness of life.
I left thinking..."look at him", he is so successful, what wonderful young, dedicated, intelligent and handsome young man he has turned out to be! I was content...and I love that feeling.
This moment lasted maybe for a minute...and then life happened again, I got in my van, headed home to pick up Kailey and was on my way to St.Mary's for a 9pm ringette game.
Today I had the chance to sit with him and talk about his experience. He said he loved it! He felt listened too..he felt respected and he felt important. It was a pretty cool, he said they had a catered dinner of Swiss Chalet festive special, paid for by the city of Cambridge...which happened to make Paul and I chuckle because of course the City of Cambridge trustee's and political spokesperson's have nothing but the best at their meetings. All expenses paid for by....you and I. He will be attending meetings monthly, all with catered dinners. He said that he knew two other people in the room. The head of the board meeting who's name is Heather was wonderful with helping Braden get his dinner prepared, she assisted him with everything. I kinda thought we might need an attendant to go with Braden but he has proven otherwise. He will continue to be independant once again, ask for help when needed and make a difference for those living with disabilities!
Paul and I could not be any prouder!!

2 comments:

  1. Give Braden a pat on the back and a high 5 from us. We too are proud of him and the whole family. You've come a long way sweetie and the journey is just beginning. Love you xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ed, I will pass it along to him...and yep, I am so looking forward to our future journey! It's gonna be awesome!
    Lots of love to both of you..
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete