Tuesday, February 23, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY...almost*



Tonight was wonderful, I met Candy out for dinner..she treated for my birthday! Lucky girl...I know!! So, we were out enjoying our conversation, nice glass of wine, quiet corner in the restaurant and then I noticed her!! It was a friend from college who I actually liked very much, she was alot younger than me, but very wise and always alot of fun...she has a great heart! I was thrilled to see her, and it was her birthday as well and she was out with friends celebrating. Well as the evening goes on, the staff at the restaurant all go over to my friends table and start clapping and singing the old familiar tune to Happy Birthday...she was delighted..look at me, its my birthday..yeah I'm sooo special, oh yes she soaked it up and loved every minute of it! Everyone clapped, including me and then it hit me...I looked at Candy and asked her almost panicky..."DId you do that for me?" She replies...knowing me very well.."NO Chrissy, I know better than that!!" Whew...I was relieved! As my friend is leaving she walks by our table with her crown on and balloon in hand, just about past my table and she notices my birthday present under the table..."Oh is it your birthday too?" Ok, what do I say here?? I could lie, but I didn't.."yes" its on Saturday..well the drama began!!
Immediately she jumps into action..thinking I would absolutely love the fabulous attention she just got..and starts looking for my waitress. I was assuring her that I was not interested and hated that kind of stuff..I hate attention, leave me alone! My waitress smiles kindly at me and mouths under her breath, don't worry I won't do it! I was settling back down, my nerves were back to normal, stops sweating from the amount of salt I had just digested as well as the house wine I devoured...especially after that close call!!
Here we are again, in deep conversation..getting caught up on life, leaning back in my seat considering for about 10 minutes I sat on the edge of it, ready to dash out the door at any sign of a birthday celebration. Totally forgetting about the earlier trauma, I hear them!! Oh F**k..I was ready to bolt, here they come..clapping and cheering with my paper crown, red heart shaped balloon and my sparkling cupcake. I am sure anyone who knows me well enough can almost see the horror in my eyes! NOT impressed, and I couldn't even hide it! I peeked around while the unenthused staff was trying to brighten my birthday celebration...(how can that be possible when your turning 39??) and noticed some children happily clapping and sitting to the backs of their chairs only wishing that stupid little cupcake was their's! I realised that I had to fake it...Big happy fake smile, or at least that is what I thought I was doing, later to find out apparently my words did not match my facial expressions! Candy said immediately everyone knew I was not happy! I tried hard to tell them thank you...except when I called my waitress a trader, she apologized and told me she felt she had to do it as my friend had paid for the birthday package. LOL, so I refused the stupid little crown hat, tied the balloon to my wine glass, pushed the pathetic vanilla (not even chocolate) cupcake across the table and then refused to have my picture taken...what a bitch!! LOL, looking back, that was terrible! I can't stop laughing know about it, but at the time, I was furious! WHat part of NO, please don't do it does she not understand? I explained my hatred for public attention and I was enjoying a quiet evening with a friend..not really in birthday celebration mode yet! Thank god Candy knows me well enough to not judge my behaviour! She had put up with so much over the years, she's a pro with my temper tantrums. Don't misunderstand me, I love when others are happy and enjoying their moments in life..i usually jump right in there and help make their moment a memorable one, however this evening, I didn't want to remember that soon I will be 39..
With all that said, I had a great time with Candy..she is wonderful and I am so fortunate to have that crazy girl go through life with me...I am sure tonight, she was questioning why she is still here...LOL,

3 comments:

  1. Wow..... 39.... I can only wish....lol... Enjoy it sweetie... You'll never see it again. You should have permitted the picture.... What a keepsake... Was Candy able to take any or did you threaten her with grave bodily harm?. . . lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes afterwards i did think i should have had them take a picture of both Candy and I together...but unfortunately the rage in me was too strong and it prevailed! Candy just knows better not to take pics when i don't want too..lol, i do regret not getting the pic with her tho..oh well, there's always HER birthday!! LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, hey I sure do know you by now. You would have killed me if I got them to sing for you! I sure know better then that lol! I felt bad for you cause she didn't really know you well enough an didnt get the message when you said NO! I knew I wasnt going to even think of it LOL! Wasnt a nice thing for her to do or even the waitress to do, you told her not to she should have went along with what you said not her! I knew you were pissed and i can't blame you actually!! But with that all said and done, you are right I am used to your temper tantrums LOL! No really I had a wonderful evening with you, catching up and celebrating! Was nice! Will always support you :) that will never change!

    ReplyDelete