Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Harley and Me



Harley and Me
This blog I am dedicating to my bestest friend ever...my yellow lab Harley!
We have had Harley for 12 years, we got him when Kailey was only a baby,she had just turned one. It wasn't like our lives weren't busy enough with a child recovering from a serious spinal cord injury and a busy toddler. I had just felt it was important for our children to grow up with pets, I had always had a dog in my life and was really missing the love that they give. I remember going to the kennel and originally wanting a female lab, no real reason just because it is always what my parents bought. After recieving a phone call once the puppies were born they had said that they only had males left, people there before us had already chosen first the females. We didn't really care, it was something new and i'd get use to a male dog. He was so cute, he had the biggest paws, the blackest nose and the most gorgeous face I have ever seen on a lab. From the moment I saw him, I told Paul he was the one I wanted. We met his parents, his mom was quiet and reserved and the breeder said she was very smart. His father was very hyper and not really all that bright. We had hoped he'd take after his mother because the last thing we needed was a hyper, crazy dog in our home. We were willing to risk it though.


Our love was instant, but the relationship took time. House breaking him was the hardest thing I have ever done. The breeder had told us to find a place in the house where we can't hear him and that will be where he sleeps in a crate. Paul was all for it, I however cried for the first 3 nights because I could hear him crying all alone, by himself downstairs in a cage..it was devasting. Over time I didn't hear him any more through the night, and when I would go to check on him I would find him comfortably sleeping in his crate...it was about a week and then I was fine, and so was Harley.


We have had so many birthdays with Harley, so many christmas', easters, summer holidays thousands of celebrations and so many happy moments. I can honestly say that good ol'Harley is my best friend because he has been the most consistent lovable figure in my life. Of course outside of my family, when I think of the times that only I have shared with Harley, only he and I will ever know the significance of our relationship. There were many times after spending hours in a hospital room, and Paul taking over for the night with Braden that I would come home and weep into Harley, never once would he pull away first, he is always there. At times only him and I have partaken in good times and bad times,he was there with me through break ups and make ups, through tears, joy, sadness, fear and hope, love and justice my boy has always been beside me. In my most saddest,loneliest moments it was Harley who was constent, of course most of those times Paul was there and made those moments safe for me again. But a few times in our 20 years together Paul was not or could not be there, religiously Harley remained at my side.He has protected my home for 12 years never letting anyone through the front doors that I didn't welcome with open arms. HE was a pillar of strength when I was not, he was there when the kids were sick, when I was sick always...conveniently meeting me in the kitchen and following me into the bedroom of the baby that had called out through the night. Up until Harley could no longer make it up our staircase, he slept on the floor beside me. Every night I would ask for a kiss goodnight and he would oblige, sometimes my arm would fall to the side of the bed and I would be awaken gently by Harley getting a taste of the last thing I had fed to the kids before they were put to bed. He watched my kids outside playig always keeping an eye on any neighbourhood action. He protected the pool area always barking at any horseplay, letting them all know that it was not allowed...someone could get hurt.


I could turn my back on a situation trusting that Harley would watch them, he never let me down.

Harley is always happy, never expecting anything in return. His tail is continuously wagging never showing signs of aggression or unhappiness. Know, he hasn't always been perfect and at times he has been a huge challenge. Oh, he has his quirks..he failed puppy school his first time around and that was embarrassing. He eventually got it and squeeked by proudly with his diploma. We could never leave anything out when we would leave the house because he would have it torn and destroyed, eaten and consumed anything left around the table. He has eaten toys,shoes,pencils, markers,presents,bags of cookies especially oreo's (those are his favorite) bags of bread, boxes of crackers and bags of halloween candy. Ironically Halloween is his favorite occassion. HE can usually sniff out the kids treats from behind a closed closet door. Second I think his favorite holiday is easter, he managed one year to sneak upstairs into my bedroom and eat at least 3 bags of Areo chocholate bars, reids chocolate and many small easter eggs.He threw up so bad that day we had to replace our living room carpet. He had diarreha for days and pooped out wrappers for almost a week.

He is starting to show signs of his age and this has been incrediably difficult for our family. The kids have literally grown up with him, he is family. There are many things that Harley can no longer do, mostley because of his hips. He has become very ornery in his old age. He doesn't like rough housing as much, he barks way to much which means he is very opinionated. We definatley know when he is not happy anymore, he is set in his ways and is at time demanding for his routine. He sleeps more, plays less but still through his age loves the most! He has become an old wise soul and knows each of us better than we know eachother, and for that I am greatful. We still have a few good years left with Harley, he isn't going anywhere any time soon, I have promised to make sure his old age is filled with hugs,petting, comfort, treats,bones, walks and so much love. I love you Harley my boy! Thank you for being my constant, unconditional love..(of course outside of Paul).

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome Chrissy. You've brought back many strong memories of our dear "Muffin". We had her for 17 years before she went to her great reward in 1998. My emotions are so strong about her that I can't bring myself to have another dog. I wouldn't be able to go through the emotional trauma again. Besides, I have the strong vivid memories of her and all her antics to do me a lifetime. I also recall your dogs growning up..... Farrah and her huge tail cleaning off the coffee table and Wrinkles being a ball of skin.... So cute. And now my grandchildren are growning up with a wonderful big ball of love in "Buddy". He's so funny when he comes for a visit and runs in and jumps up on the bed beside Grandma.... I think he's looking for food because she's always in the kitchen cooking and he cleans up all the spillage... Love the pictures or your pal and the kids. Love you, see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Chrissy. I'm crying. I love Harley. He's amazing. Like actually, he is a god. He has your back no matter what, ever. Harley is a best friend. You can always count on him. I remember when I was out during Winter Break there, when he couldn't get up. And then he tried and fell down after the first 3 steps. I really was almost crying right then. I love so much how he remembers me when I come out and visit. I remember when I was young and used to come visit too. He was there.
    Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I'd make a typo in my comment... near the end I meant to say "Love the pictures of your pal and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW !! you must have a interesting life !! :)
    You kids are so cute especially your daughter !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I type tears are rolling down my face! You are right he has been there for everything! he is an amazing dog!
    love ya
    Candy

    ReplyDelete